The study of elliptic curves straddles the areas of number theory, algebra, geometry and complex analysis, and has, in the recent decades, aroused much interest and research on its theoretical, applied and computational aspects. The SEAMS School Manila 2017 on Topics on Elliptic Curves will consist of 40 hours of lectures and problem solving sessions on selected topics on the theory and applications of elliptic curves. It aims to:
- provide participants with sufficient knowledge on the fundamental ideas and applications of elliptic curves
- encourage them to do research in this area
- provide them an opportunity to network for friendship and collaboration between young Filipino mathematicians and their counterparts in the region.
The School will also include sessions on the computational aspects of elliptic curves and will introduce to the participants computational platforms such as PARI and SAGE. There will be lectures devoted to applications such as elliptic curve cryptography. The topics will be developed almost from scratch, requiring only undergraduate level mathematics.
- A. Basic Theory of Elliptic Curves (Jerome Dimabayao/ Michel Waldschmidt)
- B. Elliptic Curves over Q and Number Fields (Francesco Pappalardi)
- C. Elliptic Curves over Finite Fields and Applications (Julius Basilla)
- D. Special Topics (Richell Celeste/ Jerome Dimabayao/ Fidel Nemenzo)
Dates : 17 - 25 July 2017
Place : Institute of Mathematics, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Organizers: Michel Waldschmidt, Fidel Nemenzo, Jerome Dimabayao